With the Fire on High
A young, afro-latinx teen mom struggles to juggle her passionate pursuit of professional cooking with school, work, or her family responsibilities.
- Imani is a well-developed, round, and dynamic character. I instantly fell in love with her.
- The challenges that Imani faces as a teen mother and minority young woman are well-suited for the times and provide incredible insight into the human experience.
- The characters and plot melded flawlessly and kept me engaged.
- I also felt inspired to prioritize my own dream despite the challenges that I have. I highly encourage young adult readers to read this book and see if any of this inspiration is transferable.
- The relationships are beautiful, and the bit of romance is sweet but doesn’t overpower Imani’s independence.
- This is another book that I recommend. 5/5 with nothing that I would change.