Hester, an east coast 17-year-old, believes that she will never be able to safely love until she meets a mysterious stranger and learns about the murky, underwater history of the women in her family and their untimely deaths.
- The author’s use of multiple points of view is interesting and well done.
- As someone who different know a lot of history, I didn’t get pulled out of the story at all for obvious historical inaccuracies.
- The mermaid, Syrenka, has a unique body type and personal history that I really enjoyed.
- Hester’s final realization was okay, but I guessed most of it earlier in the book.
- Romance isn’t my favorite genre, so the kind of I-love-more-than-anything connection was a bit unrealistic to me. But, at least this book explained how the love developed so fast.