Two teens on opposite sides of a new American war find solace in each as terrible truths about their world are revealed.
- Lu crafted the Republic dystopia perfectly. It was chilling how possible the system was.
- The characters’ arcs we’re well-developed, and their relationships made the story emotional and engaging.
- The fight scenes were descriptive and well-placed.
- Lu included details at perfect moments to keep me reading.
- The romance was a perfectly balanced b-plot that enhanced the main plot.
- The predatory government was a plausible and terrifying adversary to the hero and heroine.
- The multi-POV structure provided keen insights into the characters, paced the story well, and created urgency and mystery.
- There was constant tension, especially from knowing more than the narrators given the duel first person perspectives.
- I have zero problems with this incredible work.