Girls With Sharp Sticks
Mina and the other girls at her elite finishing school are designed and trained to serve men from maintaining a perfect appearance and home to controlling their impulses so that they are perfectly subdued and poised to the delight of their professors, school’s investors, and sponsors. While the school and it’s girls are serene and beautiful on the outside, deep dark secrets fester below the surface. What can Mina do when she finds that nothing is simple or safe in the world that’s been crafted for her?
- First of all, one of my students recommended this book, so I came in a little biased. I knew that if he liked this series, I would. Thanks for the recommendation, Colin! 🙂
- I immediately had questions as the narrator described aspects of her experiences. The normalcy of the misogyny she faced was unsettling that I had to know more.
- Mina’s character arc was dramatic and powerful. I loved every bit of her intense transformation.
- I loved the bond between the characters. Their fierce loyalty was such an incredible strength, and I loved that it wasn’t just a knight in shining armor that showed up to save them. They were their own agents of change.
- This was such an entertaining spin on dystopian scifi, and even though I had a guess about what was really going on at the school, I was still surprised I. The heat of the action.
- The stakes were so high that I was engaged from the very first page until the last. The extent of the tension was exhilarating.
- Overall, this was an excellent read and a well-written piece as a whole.
- While some of the perceived inconsistencies from the beginning were explained as new information arose, there were a few lines that seemed inconsistent with previous parts of the story. However, they weren’t distracting enough to take me out of the story.